World Leaders in Ship Motion Control Solutions.
Naiad Dynamics is the fusion of legendary stabiliser and Ride Control System manufacturers Naiad Marine Systems®, Maritime Dynamics, Vosper Motion Control®, Vosper Stabilisers, VT Marine Products and KoopNautic Holland.
The full integration of these jointly-owned businesses occurred in early 2009 when Naiad Maritime Group, Inc acquired all global operations and reorganised them as Naiad Dynamics with interlinked facilities across the USA, in the UK and Netherlands.
The global business draws on a wealth of experience and advanced technologies, operating as a completely unified entity, from research & development to worldwide service.
On the shoulders of giants
The company traces its heritage from 1941 when NAIAD in the USA was first established as a precision manufacturer for the aerospace industry, a legacy continued to this day. The company’s history is linked to Sperry Marine in the 1970’s and includes Maritime Dynamics revolutionary work for the US Navy and the fast ferry industry in the 1980’s.
The company also traces its stabilisation roots to 1891 when Sir John Thornycroft engineered and provided a stabilisation system for the yacht Cecile. Vosper and Thornycroft joined in 1966 (later becoming VT Group plc) and the rich history of the Vosper Stabiliser business continues today, an integral part of NAIAD DYNAMICS.
Applications & Expertise
Responsible for more than 12,000 stabilization systems in the luxury yacht, commercial ship and military ship markets—including over 50 of the world’s Navies, numerous Coast Guards, most of the world’s fast ferries, and more luxury yachts than any other company. The combined fielded experience and technical expertise of NAIAD DYNAMICS is unmatched in marine motion control.
Proven applications include displacement and planing monohulls, catamarans, trimarans, surface effect ships (SES), SWATH, SLICE, SWASH, RHIBS and other advanced hull forms from 10 to 150m, and monohulls to 248m (27,000 tonnes). Recent military applications include the US Navy’s sophisticated 115m Freedom Class Littoral Combat Ships.
Extensive FEA engineering design, CFD hydrodynamic design, naval architecture and structural analysis, highly correlated proprietary ship modelling and simulation, full CNC manufacturing to US military aerospace standards, fabrication, full scale assembly and testing.
Naiad Dynamics also operates tear down and repair facilities, dynamometer load testing, motion simulation hydraulic testing, electrical assembly and testing laboratory, extensive software engineering and programming.
The company is credited with some of the most significant marine motion control innovations of the modern era, including:
- 1st ship Ride Control System “RCS” (simultaneous and continuous control of roll and pitch and often other ship motions)
- 1st commercial ferry and military ship RCS
- 1st Classification Society type-approved RCS
- 1st RCS with a fully integrated Auto Pilot
- 1st Active T-foil RCS and retractable T-foil RCS
- 1st use of Fins to provide zero forward speed stabilisation (Stabilisation AtRest®)
- 1st hydro-mechanical gyroscope controller for stabilisation (US Patent)
- 1st fully digital Angle-Velocity-Acceleration controller utilising CAN technology
- 1st application of rotary (Magnus effect) cylinders for low speed stabilisation
- 1st Active Interceptor RCS, 1st strike tolerant active interceptor
- 1st monohull RCS, catamaran RCS, trimaran RCS, Surface Effect Ship RCS and SLICE RCS
Motion Control Solutions
A full suite of standard, production-based systems:
- AtSpeed® (Underway) and AtRest® (zero speed) Active Roll Stabilisation Systems
- Advanced Ride Control Systems including Total Ride Control™ for luxury yachts
- Standard product configurations include Active Fins (roll fins, yaw fins, pitch canards), Retractable Fins, Active T-Foils, Retractable T-Foils, Active Trim Tabs, Active Interceptors, Active Lifting Foils, Active Spanning Foils and Rotary Cylinders.
Custom motion control product configurations designed to suit almost any application.
Related Marine Systems
Hydraulic and Electric Bow Thrusters, Hydro-electric Power Packs, Integrated Hydraulic Systems, and VOSPOWER™ Waterjet Propulsion Systems
Ship modelling, simulation and motion control analysis. Custom engineering, testing, precision manufacturing, installation and refit services.